Monday, June 30, 2014

Captain Awesome Baby Sleeps Through the Night

It simply must be celebrated.

Have you ever read something, wished you'd known about it before, and have a strong desire to try it at your soonest opportunity?  Well, when Fin was nearly a year old I read Bringing Up Bebe. It was written by an American woman who had moved to Paris and was raising a child.  She noted some differences between her child and the Parisian children and decided to write a book about it. One marvelous discovery was that "all French children sleep through the night at 2 months." Now, I don't know what the French consider "sleeping through the night," but (as I said) Fin was almost a year old and not sleeping through the night at all. The book mentioned that once a child was 4 months old, poor sleeping habits were rather firmed up.  It would be several more months before he would sleep through the night.  I was VERY anxious to try out what the book mentioned, as it was clear what mistakes I had made with Fin.

So, as directed, I had you sleeping right by the largest window in the house, right in the living room, central to the most noise in the house.  I had you sleep in your crib at night as much as, and as early as possible. Sure enough, you turned 5 months old ten days ago and have been sleeping through the night for a couple of weeks.  And by "sleeping through the night" I mean: you go to bed around 8pm and sleep until 6:30am. It is absolute heaven.


I cannot thank you enough.  Last week I was in a terrible mood and really snapping at your brother and (mostly) your sister.  If it weren't for you allowing me to get some time to myself in the evening and then a full night's sleep, I think I may have exploded.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment